Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Things That Go Through My Head Prior to Surprising Others

On October 22nd, 2010, I successfully surprised the person I wanted to surprise.


I also surprised myself.








I hate trains.

And so my train was early. I'm the kind of passenger that takes the expected arrival time and adds a good thirty minutes to it. But this time I had to subtract. The sky was so unrealistically blue it restored an idea that I had previously discarded back into my head. The idea was supposed to just be an idea. Like time-traveling is just an idea. Curing aids is just an idea. Oh, wait, um...right. But my idea suddenly seemed possible, because the sky was blue and because I got over my chronicle idiocy and remembered that Dorval station exists and was the train's next stop. I'm a genius. See, the original plan was to arrive downtown (Bonaventure station) at 14:50, which made it impossible for me to be at the airport at 15:00.

So now that the existence of Dorval station is taken into account, I concluded that it was very much possible for me to be at the arrival of the Montreal Trudeau Airport at 15:00 looking for someone that wouldn't be looking for me.

Yea, I figured since I was born with two legs, I might as well use them to get somewhere and surprise someone, such as Camille.

I stepped off the train at the Dorval station at 14:15. My duffle bag was so heavy I was convinced that the bottles of alcohol I was carrying were actually filled with mercury. 14:30, I was eating a mushy Subway sandwich at the Trudeau airport. Funny how on that same morning, I was in farmland nation (or you may have heard me refer to it as Niagara-on-the-Lake) patting a cat, and after a train ride, I was at the Montreal international airport waiting to see someone for the first time in two years, seven months and twelve days.

Sitting in a subtle corner at the exit of the international arrivals with the taste of Subway grilled chicken sandwich in my mouth, I wondered, on a scale of ten, how cool this surprise would be. I had a pretty good view of the exit and all the people coming out of it, except I wasn't sure I would even recognize who I was looking for. Make yourself visible.

Then I saw a person that I was 87.5% sure to be Camille. To hell with the other 12.5%. I picked up my bag and made a big detour around the area just to make sure I was able to end up behind her without revealing my presence because my signature move of tapping people on the opposite shoulder requires that kind of enormous effort. Fuck, what did I pack in this bag. So I put my money down for that 87.5% and tapped the Camille-to-be. Let's gamble for real.

I held my breath.

Between the time she turned the other way and the time she turned my way, I made up my mind that even if she wasn't Camille, she deserved a hug for looking so much like her. So I hugged whoever that may have been. Who the hell would smell so good. It felt like Camille, I don't know how, but it did. That brings my whole percentage thing up to 94.7%.

This person hugged me back. Hallelujah. So the possibilities were either I looked like someone that this stranger was hoping to see, or she was Camille and she knew I was Mychelle.

I don't know about you crazy people, but I'd go for the latter one.

Camille: "Awn, what are you doing here?"
Mychelle: Um, I just randomly hang out here because I have a fetish for airports. "Surprise!"
And it all worked out.

<3

I toss a penny in a pond wishing that I won't have to wait another century to do this all over again :)



Oct 22 - Oct 24, 2010
Frozen for a moment in time.


Mychelle


No comments:

Post a Comment