Friday, September 3, 2010

How Jamie-Lee Hoban Lived

Keisha is a girl I met in Ottawa back in spring when I was participating in Encounters with Canada. Everyone there came from a different place and had a different story. Keisha told me hers, and it was the one that sank in the deepest. Now you're thinking, does Keisha have anything to do with Jamie-Lee? Well, she does.



How Jamie-Lee Hoban Lived
by Keisha Drapeau

September 4th, 2009 my best friend and I went swimming with a bunch of friends. Now, let me tell you a little bit about this girl. Her name is Jamie-Lee Hoban. She’s 18 years old and is one of the best people you could ever meet. She truly was anything but ordinary. She was the type of girl who would give, give and give and never expect anything in return. She was also one of those girls who would make you laugh all the time! There was NEVER a dull moment with her. She could make anyone’s day, even if she couldn’t make her own. Above all of these things, she was strong. No matter what life threw at her, she always took it, and made it work for her. She smiled through the pain and kept going. Our friendship meant everything to me.

That day was one of the best days I’ve had with Jamie-Lee and it was also the last. On our way home with two other friends, we hit a set of washboards, flipped the vehicle numerous times, took out a power line and ended up upside down in a ditch. We were all rushed to the hospital, except Jamie-Lee. She was trapped inside the vehicle. The night at the hospital, we received the news of her passing.

Jamie-Lee was a big part of everyone’s lives in our small community. She was everyone’s friend, a comical person and such an inspiration to many. She was never mean, but when she had to, she stood her ground and was straight up with person. She was the most honest and trustworthy person I have ever met in my life.

Although Jamie-Lee is now gone, I know she is always with me and our friendship continues to grow stronger each and every day. I thank god for allowing me to have had the chance to have had such an amazing inspirational person in my life. Without her, I would not be as strong and as appreciative today, as I once was. Even though every day is a hard day without my best friend, it also gets easier, because I know it’s one day closer to being able to see her again.


by my dearest Keisha Drapeau


4 comments:

  1. That's one touching story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keisha...thank you for such a wonderful tribute to an amazing young woman and an incredible niece! We all miss her dearly and she will always be a big part of our lives. Forever in our memories and in our hearts! (Aunty)Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thats very touching
    Keisha you are so strong, i dont know the feeling but it must be hard to have had that happen to your best friend

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love you Keisha, this is such a beautiful peice of writing about an amazing angel. miss her so much.. but, you're right. one day closer.. one day at a time.

    "Forever In Our Hearts, RIP JAM<3 "
    love you always, xoxox
    - Special K

    ReplyDelete